Q&A: Are we sure Assad used chemical weapons?
TSI’s Director Valerie Szybala answers the question: “What is the confidence that all of these (both this week and earlier) gas attacks are entirely perpetrated by Assad? I see lots of spotty reports implying that Al-Nusra Front also has access to these weapons and has used them before.” This question was submitted by Steven Sharp.
Here are some additional resources on this topic:
- French Intelligence report: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/syria/events/article/chemical-attack-in-syria-national-evaluation-presented-by-jean-marc-ayrault
- White House report: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/11/world/middleeast/document-Syria-Chemical-Weapons-Report-White-House.html
- HRW report on recent govt. nerve gas attacks: https://www.hrw.org/report/2017/05/01/death-chemicals/syrian-governments-widespread-and-systematic-use-chemical-weapons
- NYT investigation: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/insider/the-times-uses-forensic-mapping-to-verify-a-syrian-chemical-attack.html
- OPCW 43rd monthly report on Syria’s chemical program (unresolved issues in declaration and unvisited sites) https://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=S/2017/373
- OPCW/UN Fifth Joint Investigative Report (govt. committed chlorine attacks & ISIS committed mustard gas attack): http://reliefweb.int/report/syrian-arab-republic/fifth-report-organization-prohibition-chemical-weapons-united-nations
- Sarin explanations by Dan Kaszeta @ Bellingcat:
TSI is a US-based non-profit organization and we are working hard to inform an accurate collective understanding of the crisis in Syria. Support our work, make a tax-deductible donation today: http://syriainstitute.org/donate/.
Posted 31 May 2017