TSI Syria Update: August 10, 2017 TSI Syria Update: August 11, 2017
Trump Administration Policy Tracker (TASP) – Table Key
- Military – This category includes direct US and US-led Coalition military actions such as airstrikes, as well as operational and kinetic events involving partner forces on the ground. The TASP dataset focuses on military events deemed to be notable, such airstrikes that take out a high-ranking ISIS operative or are believed to have a high civilian casualty toll. The TASP data is not a comprehensive listing of all US military engagements in Syria. The US efforts to defeat ISIS in Syria and Iraq are conducted by the “Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve” along with partner countries in the US-led Global Coalition. CJTF-OIR puts out a daily Strike Release listing the Coalition airstrikes against ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria. The CJTF-OIR Strike Release archive is available here.
- Policy – Broad category that includes actions and statements related to the US Syria strategy from different levels of US government.
- Direct Action – A military event type used for specific US military engagements in Syria. Primarily involves airstrikes.
- Operation – A military event type used for actions related to operational military strategy on the ground. Ex: force deployments, arms shipments, launch of offensive, etc.
- Casualty – Used in cases of US force casualty
- Legislation – US legislation related development
- Agreement – Refers to the outcome of negotiations between the US and another actor.
- Comment – Includes notable statements, comments, and briefings related to US strategy, actions, and policy in Syria.
- Meeting – A policy event type. Often accompanied by relevant statements.
- Sanctions –
- UN – A policy event type involving US actions at the UN. Ex: Drafting a UN resolution or co-sponsoring an Arria-session meeting at the Security Council.
- Partner – Refers to ground forces that fight in cooperation with the US-led Coalition to defeat ISIS. Primarily includes the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the north or Vetted Syrian Opposition (VSO) groups in the south.
- Partner Action – Used to describe actions by US partner forces on the ground.
- Partner Support – Used to describe US actions in support of partner forces on the ground.
- Al Qaeda
- Assad Coalition – Pro-Assad fighting coalition that includes Syrian Arab Army, pro-government militias, Russia, Iranian IRGC and an array of Iran-backed foreign forces.
- US Action – Used to describe direct US (or in some cases US-led Coalition) actions.
- Russia Cooperation – Used to describe “Policy” events – generally “Comments” – focused on improved cooperation between the US and Russia in Syria.
- Safe Zone(s) – Used to describe all permutations of the ‘safe zone’ concept, including de-escalation zones and local ceasefires.